Saturday, June 14, 2008

A few random things

1) I don’t know why I think about these movies so often, but for some reason I find myself reflecting on the Ocean’s 11, 12 and 13 films now and then, and though I really enjoyed them, there are a few things that really kind of shock me. Today I thought of another. So something that really struck me was the end of Ocean’s 12, where everyone is celebrating their victory in thieving by gambling and drinking together. It’s a scene of contentment, comfort, and genuine fun…inextricably linked with the booze and gambling, as well as the plot that drew them all together in the first place. Isn’t that kind of a weird message to send? I don’t think anyone who enjoyed the movie is going to immediately equate stealing, drinking, and gambling as equaling good and wholesome things, but still…odd message.

The other strange thing I just now realized was before that, before the viewer knows that everything is going to work out “ok” for the protagonists. I don’t want to give too much away, but in this one, as well as the others, there are some extreme perversions of justice going on. Policemen, detectives, and other figures who are supposed to be upholding the law are actually subverting it for Ocean and his buddies. In the film, this makes them “good guys”, but in real life, they’re undermining the justice system- engaging in criminal activity. Corruption in the justice system is wide-spread and serious, so I’m surprised that it’s indulged in these three fairly popular films.

2) Well, there was something designated for the 2 spot, but I don’t remember what it was. So I’ll go on to 3…

3) I encountered a great mystery yesterday morning. Walking back from the exercise room along 12th street (in Claremont), I had to stop and make way for ducks. A female duck and a half dozen or so ducklings (sooo…cuuuuuute….) had waddled casually up to the end of Columbia and were crossing from Scripps into Harvey Mudd. Where did they come from?? Where were they going??? It would make sense if there was any sort of water, aside from ornamental fountains, anywhere in Claremont, and how they had obviously set up a nest somewhere, remained undisturbed enough to hatch ducklings, find food, etc….I simply do not understand. It was an adorable little group. The mother duck ignored me completely and led her brood along the crosswalk as if they did this every day.

Ah! Now I remember!

2) I’m listening to an audio version of “Atonement”. The protagonist (or antagonist, depending on how you look at her), Briony, writes a play at the age of 13 entitled “The Trials of Arabella”. Now, Briony is a bit of Quixote- self-absorbed, histrionic, makes mountains out of molehills, is the star of her own little world. I wonder if it’s just coincidence that her protagonist (who is a reflection of herself) shares the name of another Arabella from “The Female Quixote; or, The Adventures of Arabella” by Charlotte Lennox (informative
link). I had to read this obscure little novel (written in 1752) for an English class I took at Pomona. And I hated this novel, which of course is why I remember it so well. If it’s intentional, then I am impressed. If it isn’t, then it’s just a funny coincidence, I guess.

The end!

2 comments:

Nick Oegema said...

mmm mutant city ducks.

Courtney Nicole said...

I saw the move Atonement. Aweful, just aweful, sad depressing mess of a story. Oh-and tons of not-needed visuals...ugh
don't waste your time watching it, though i don't know how closely the book and the movie parallel