Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Gloria in excelsis Deo, etc.

Here are some pictures of a commission I finished recently for some friends. They wanted an illuminated/calligraphy-ized version of this prayer to go in their prayer/devotions corner. It was a fun and challenging project- we exchanged tons of emails and design ideas before settling on this one. I think it turned out pretty well, and best of all, they love it. Yay!

Here are some other things I've taken pictures of...

Do you see the happy tree-gnome, too??

This is a poinsettia that Bart and I "rescued" from church after Christmas. It promptly dropped its leaves (apparently part of the problem was that it was getting too cold in our house during the night. I tried to give it some no-nonsense pep-talk: "What, you're cold? Boo-hoo, plant. Toughen up." It ignored me.) and I left it for dead in our little side room/mud room, because it looked awful on the kitchen table. Simply depressing. Anyway, lo and behold, a couple weeks ago I noticed tiny little leaves growing where the old ones had been. Yay! Now I sort of baby it. ;)


I love how the morning light looks coming in through the east-facing window in the bedroom. The window itself is horribly ugly, as far as windows go, but the shadow-effect is pretty cool. We have vertical blinds, which cause the vertical shadows. the window itself is one of those awful, inexplicable things made of slats of glass that with a little pull so that you open the whole window like a vent. And when they're closed you have a really drafty window. But what's actually causing the horizontal shadows is residue from the packing tape that the previous tenant had used in an attempt to staunch the draft (clever!).

No comments: